You get invited to a cookout last-minute and you’re thinking, “what am I going to bring?!” The answer: This white chocolate bark. 10 minutes prep, 20 minutes to set, and you’ve got a dessert that’s party-ready in less time than it takes to contour and strobe your face, amIright?
The best part about this recipe, is that you can easily switch it up and make it for other holidays — black and orange for Halloween (and you could layer or marble in some dark chocolate)– oranges, yellows and brown (or more chocolate, again) for Thanksgiving–blue + white for Hanukkah–red and green for Christmas– pink + red for Valentine’s Day–pastels for Easter … the list goes on.
Did I mention, this is the easiest dessert to make ever? It’s literally melted chocolate with candy in it and all you do is break it apart and put it on a plate. I’m the best, I know. You’re welcome.
What you’ll need
- 3 bags, white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons, vegetable shortening
- Food coloring (blue and red for this occasion)
- Colorful candy (I got red, white + blue M&M’s and sprinkles)
- Wax paper lined baking sheet
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Butter knife
Let’s make it!
- Dump two bags of white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals until chocolate whisks creamy.
- Using spatula, spread an even layer into the bottom of wax-paper lined baking sheet.
- Melt 1/2 of the third bag, following step 1, but add 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening (I use Crisco). Whisk in shortening, then add food coloring to desired hue. The shortening will keep the white chocolate from caking up.
- Drop the first hue (I did red first) in heaping teaspoons onto the white on the baking sheet.
- Clean microwave-safe bowl and repeat steps 3 and 4 using other food coloring(s) as desired.
- Using a butter knife, carefully marble the colors together in the pan, until you achieve your desired look.
- Add sprinkles, candy and any other confection, as desired.
- Move baking sheet to refrigerator to harden for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20-30 minutes, take baking sheet out of refrigerator, and remove candy bark from wax paper. Break into pieces and transfer to serving plate.